Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Another amazing trip outside of London


Sunday we got to take a break from using the tube and we jumped onto the bus for a trip to Stonehenge and Bath. The trip from our hotel to Stonehenge was a little over an hour. I stayed awake for the most part, enjoying the scenery but eventually gave in and took a nap. Once at Stonehenge we got the choice to stay on the bus or we could pay to go in. I decided it was worth the money so I could say that I have seen both Carhenge and Stonehenge and be in an exclusive group of people J .  we were also informed of the many different beliefs people have about stonehenge and why or how it was built and the ones I remember were aliens, a calendar because the rocks match up with the summer and winter solstice and a healing temple. Apparently there is more UFO activity in this area then any other area and it is also the largest military training area in England. We were asked to take a vote on why we thought Stonehenge was built and when the vote was taken on the bus the majority naturally chose aliens. We walked around Stonehenge for about an hour taking pictures and enjoying the sunny day and then it was back on the bus and off for bath. It took us 2 ½ hours to get from our hotel to bath and the same back so it was a lot of travel time. On the way we passed a lot of sheep and were informed that there are 32 million sheep in England and this was a main source of income. We also saw pigs that our tour guide called piggy porkers. just a little fun fact that I had to laugh at. Also crop circles are found a lot around here.
 
 
the sun was really bright so we all are a little squinty 
 
ancient burial mounds found around Stonehenge 

 
 
 
 

 On the outskirts of Bath I noticed these weird round, small, stone buildings that were located on the street corners. Turns out that these are “local lock ups” and are just like mini jails around town so you could be thrown in there to “sober up” as our tour guide explained, Safe to say I was intimidated! The thought of being thrown in some random stone dungeon on a street corner didn’t sound real fun. When we arrived we were lucky enough to have a guided tour of the area and then let out on our own for two hours before we entered the roman baths. I grabbed a slice of pizza and a coca cola (which by the way is the only pop that taste the same over here and I’m starting to really like it and I never drink it at home.)  Any way we then took off looking at different shops. I have to say my favorite one was the candy shop. They had chocolate covered strawberries and they were soooo good!!! I had 3.J
 
 after wandering around we all met up for our tour of the roman baths and were given a little information on what we were about to see. The buildings were built around the natural hot spring which rises at 46 degrees Celsius (I would tell you that in Fahrenheit but you all know my math skills!) in the morning we always watch the news and check the weather and it is also in Celsius so watching the weather is kind of pointless we mostly just look for the little rain cloud to see if we need our umbrellas. Back on the subject of the Roman Baths, they are thought to be sacred and able to fix any ailments. We were even given the chance to drink the water at the end. It was very warm and kind of tasted like copper but hey I did it!!  I have a picture on my phone of me trying it and I’m pretty sure my face says it all. Here are some pictures of the beautiful area.
the beautiful park outside bath
 
 
 
 
the sacred healing roman baths

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Aria photo bombing me in the background :)
 
 
 
tilt you head sideways its worth reading what it says! I cant figure out how to rotate it!!! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment